When you start a new business or company, you want to get the word out to start generating revenue. Many forms of promotional marketing can successfully boost your business and put you in front of potential new customers, such as social media campaigns and brand ambassadorships. Brand ambassadors usually promote your product or service to their followers so you can get additional exposure. However, brand ambassadors aren’t always people. Sometimes, they’re products. These silent ambassadors are a big part of business and marketing and can help you connect with consumers in a new and exciting way.
What Is a Silent Ambassador?
Promoting your business through promotional products is the physical embodiment of the emotions or values that matter most to your brand. It’s estimated that 60% of consumers hold onto promotional products a business has given to them for at least two years. When you give out promotional products for your audience, you’re advertising who you are and what you do to the individual and every other person who lays their eyes on your product from that point forward. People often keep these products in their homes or carry them around while they’re out in the world. Other people who interact with the original consumer while using your product are now exposed to your brand. The product itself is what’s referred to as a silent ambassador. The right product can advertise your brand identity without saying a word. Your business lives on in the memory of your consumers. Approximately 85% of individuals can recall a brand’s name after receiving a promotional product. Your business is constantly being referred to other people each time your promotional products are used, and on average, just a single product can produce hundreds of impressions per month. These extra eyes on your brand are invaluable to the success of your promotional campaign.
Who Is a Silent Ambassador?
Many businesses use brand ambassadors to promote their products through social media, television or print advertisements. These ambassadors are often celebrities, influencers or other businesses with a substantial following who advertise your brand identity in various ways. Promotional products are silent ambassadors, but the people who use them play a big part in spreading your brand identity. Silent brand ambassadors can be anybody, and there’s a significant value in that. When you give your promotional products to an individual or group, they become your silent ambassadors. Each time they use your product or carry it with them when they travel, they’re silently referring your brand to each person who sees it, including family members, friends and strangers who pass by on the street. The use of your product acts almost like a stamp of approval from the person using it. The fact that anyone can be a silent ambassador means people from various walks of life can be exposed to your brand. When businesses use social media marketing or print advertisements, their reach is limited to the types of people who interact with these media types. These methods are an ideal form of advertising when trying to target a specific demographic. Promotional products allow you to expand your reach to demographic groups you may not have thought of before.
The Importance of Design
Design plays a significant factor in how your brand identity is received. Your design also works as a silent ambassador by communicating your brand identity and values. The design of your logo and promotional materials represents your image, so it’s essential to weigh your options and determine what would look best for your business. The first place you should start is your logo. Businesses and brands can be easily identified by their chosen logo, and it’s one of the best things to put on a promotional item. An effective logo will attract people’s attention and get straight to the heart of your business. The ideal logo will be:
- Captivating to the eye
- Simple to remember
- Representative of your brand
- Clean and concise
Apart from a logo, you should also focus on your tagline or slogan. These look best on pencils, pens and other smaller promotional items where a big logo might not suit a really small product. Ensure that your slogan is straightforward and catchy, so it’s easy for consumers to remember and associate with your business. Finally, you’ll want to include concise information on how people can contact you for business inquiries. This can be an email, phone number or a social media handle. People who see this information on a promotional product can easily reach out to you, and you’ll increase your leads. Contact information is easy to fit on any promotional item you choose. You can combine all three of these elements to create an effective design that communicates your business values and remains memorable in the mind of your consumers. An appealing design will make a positive impression and brand association.
The Value of Promotional Products
Using promotional products is a valuable marketing tool for your business. Promotional products can generate a significant amount of leads in just one month. If one product can generate hundreds of impressions every month, handing out 100 promotional products at one event can lead to thousands of impressions in a single month. That adds up to over 412,000 impressions in a year. These impressions can turn into leads for your business that turn into a loyal customer base. When you’re deciding what promotional products to use, consider the lifespan of each promotional product and how often someone might use it. The longer a product lasts, the more often someone will take it somewhere, increasing potential leads. Different products will last a varied amount of time and will be used differently by consumers. Here are some of the most popular promotional products and their approximated lifespan:
- Pens and pencils: The average pen can last anywhere from half a year to two years, depending on the type of ink. The lifespan of a pencil can vary based on how much someone writes, but on average, a graphite pencil can last between 40,000-50,000 written words or roughly nine months. People use writing utensils nearly every day in multiple aspects of their life, so they make a great promotional product to help make a lasting impression.
- Tote bags: Tote bags provide ample space to display a logo or design of your choice and can last through a year of consistent and daily usage. These bags can last much longer if they’re used to carry lightweight materials and are properly taken care of. People often use tote bags to carry groceries or school items, so they make an excellent promotional product with a high chance for the most impressions.
- Hats: Many hats, especially baseball caps, can last for a significant number of years. Some hats can even last for a decade or longer when they’re properly maintained. Hats make one of the best promotional products due to their long lifespan and utility. Many people wear hats daily for function and fashion, so you can promote your business to a broad audience if you choose to use hats for advertising your brand.
- Masks: The past few years have brought about a new avenue for promotional products. Masks have become a popular promotional marketing tool since they’re commonly worn, and designs can be easily printed on the front. When you wear and take care of a face mask properly, a cloth mask can last for years to come. Every time someone wears your branded mask and interacts with another person, this is an opportunity for your brand to make an impression.
- Water bottles and tumblers: Reusable water bottles are convenient for many people and reduce the amount of waste we produce each year. With the proper care, plastic water bottles can last over a year. You can even choose to go for a stainless steel tumbler, which can last over ten years before a replacement is necessary. Using a water bottle or tumbler to promote your brand can generate business for years to come.
- Coffee mugs: Ceramic coffee mugs do have the potential to break when they’re not cared for, or an accident occurs, but in general, a coffee mug can last for years. There’s plenty of space for your logo. Since the average American consumes around three cups of coffee a day, there are plenty of opportunities for your business to be promoted.
- Backpacks: A quality backpack can last for a few years on average, but the number varies based on how it’s treated. People from all walks of life use backpacks to carry their personal items, school supplies or travel materials. The long lifespan, various applications and consistent usage make backpacks an excellent choice to promote your business.
Certain items are more popular in one season compared to the next. For example, sunglasses are more common in the summer, while hoodies perform better in the winter. These items are used more in their respective seasons but don’t see a lot of use in other months, meaning fewer eyes on your brand. The best part is that when consumers have finished using your promotional product, they will often gift it to someone else. This opens the door for additional impressions and positive brand associations.
The Benefits of Promotional Products
Promotional products have nearly limitless applications and thousands of different product types to choose from. Companies and businesses use promotional products to generate more business and increase their overall exposure. These products help your brand stick out against your competition and positively impact your brand image. There are a few added benefits to using promotional products as a marketing method. These products allow businesses to:
- Save money: Promotional products are more cost-effective than other forms of advertising, especially for newer businesses. You can often buy promotional items in bulk at a reduced-priced. Once these items are in the hands of your consumers, you’ll start increasing brand awareness with a broad audience for months without any additional costs.
- Be creative: With promotional products, you can be more creative with advertising than traditional methods. Your memorable logo and useful products create a unique flair. You can even mix promotional products with other marketing methods, such as social media campaigns, to increase your marketing efficiency.
- Create bonds: Brand loyalty and business-to-consumer relationships are key to any successful business. Customers who feel a strong bond with your brand are more likely to recommend you to friends and family. These customers are also more likely to return to your business in the future.
Ensuring that your promotional products are quality-made is another important factor. Data shows us that many consumers believe that the quality of promotional products ties into a brand’s reputation. The higher the quality of a product, the better the brand. It’s important to note that a majority of consumers view a brand more positively if their promotional products are environmentally-friendly. This number is expected to rise as more people become environmentally conscious. Eco-friendly products are becoming more important among consumers, so it’s essential to consider this when choosing promotional products.
Consider Your Promotional Product Demographic
When deciding what promotional products to use, consider your target market. Some products appeal to specific demographics over others. For example, young people are more technologically savvy than older generations. They appreciate products they can use with their devices, such as mobile accessories that can clip on or stick to a cellphone case. If you’re targeting more active people or those who engage with sports teams, promotional water bottles or activewear make an excellent choice. You can find your target audience in multiple ways, including:
- Analyzing your current customers for overlapping demographic information.
- Conducting market research into industry trends.
- Looking at your competitors to see who they’re selling to.
- Using analytical software, such as Google Analytics.
- Updating your demographic information as you gather more data.
Once you’ve collected all the data, choose specific demographics to target. The demographics will vary based on your business type, but some common demographics to target include people from particular age groups, locations and educational backgrounds. You can also get more personal with your demographic targeting by looking at consumer psychology, such as their behavior, lifestyle and values. With this information, you can create a consumer persona that will help you nail down the specifics of your demographic. You’ll determine their wants and needs and choose the ideal promotional products to advertise your business.
Shop For Promotional Products With ePromos
Whether you’re looking for products to hand out at an event or give to your employees, ePromos has something for every occasion. We have everything from bags and apparel to drinkware and travel accessories. Shop from various brands and display your business logo with pride. We offer a price match guarantee, so you know that you’re getting the best deals with ePromos. We also offer multiple comprehensive services to help simplify the process. Let us help you create the perfect logo or artwork to embellish your promotional products that truly speak to your brand identity. Fill out our online contact form to get in touch or give us a call at 877-377-6667.